Graff Distinguished Alumni Award Criteria
The purpose of the Graff Distinguished Alumni Award is to recognize alumni who have achieved honor and distinction with recognition and reputations that extend well beyond the immediate environments in which they live and work.
This award is presented at the UWL Alumni Awards Program each year. The award, a bronze plaque etched with a recipient's image and description of accomplishments, is prominently displayed in the Cleary Alumni & Friends Center.
Criteria for the award:
- Attended classes at UW-La Crosse, but does not have to be a UWL graduate
- At least 20 years since attended UWL
- Must have a high ranking in his/her profession
- Must have made numerous contributions to others
- Distinctive records of achievement with recognition and reputations, which extend well beyond the immediate environments in which they live and work
- The record of distinctive achievement for the candidates should extend over a substantial period of time to assure continuity of performance, stability and maturity
- Current faculty members are not eligible
- Candidates must be living
Standards for consideration include distinctive records of achievement, with recognition and reputation which extend well beyond the immediate environments in which they live and work. This record of distinctive achievement should extend over a substantial period of time to assure continuity of performance, stability and maturity.
- Solicitation of nominations.
- Alumni, friends of the university, faculty and staff are invited to make nominations. (Simply forward the name to the Alumni Association at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608.785.8489).
- Nominations are accepted year 'round.
- Nominations must be received by Oct. 1 to be considered for the award given the following spring.
- Nominees are notified and asked to submit the following information for their file:
- Three letters of reference
- Any additional documentation they wish to provide
- Files need to be complete by Nov. 15 to be considered for the following year.
- The Graff Distinguished Alumni Award selection committee will review all complete files and select the recipient(s). (The committee will be made up of current faculty and local alumni).
- The Chancellor will notify the alums of their award(s).
- Recipients are required to attend the awards ceremony. If for some reason they are unavailable, they will be recognized the following year.
- Once all the necessary documents have been received, candidates remain active for consideration for a period of five years.