The Burt & Norma Altman Teacher Education Award
The purpose of the Burt and Norma Altman Teacher Education Award is to honor and recognize outstanding educators and the significant contributions they make to children, schools and the communities they serve.
This award is presented annually at the UWL Alumni Awards program.
Criteria for the award:
- Attended classes at UW-La Crosse, but does not have to be a UWL graduate
- Must have made a significant contribution to education or an education-related profession as well as the school(s) and/or communities they serve
- Distinctive record of achievement, which may or may not have been publicly recognized
- Current UWL faculty and staff members are ineligible
- Candidates must be living
- Solicitation of nominations.
- Alumni, friends of the university, faculty and staff are invited to make nominations. (Simply forward the name to the Alumni Association at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608.785.8489).
- Nominations are accepted year round.
- Nominations must be received by Oct. 1 to be considered for the award given the following year.
- Nominees are notified and asked to submit the following information for their file:
- Three letters of reference
- Any additional documentation they wish to provide
- Files need to be complete by Nov. 15 to be considered for the following year.
- The UWL Alumni Awards committee will review all complete files and select the recipient(s).
- The Chancellor will notify the alums of their award(s).
- Recipients are required to attend the awards ceremony. If for some reason they are unavailable, they will be recognized the following year.
- Once all the necessary documents have been received, candidates remain active for consideration for a period of five years.
Award Recipients (travel expenses paid in full and recipient receives a School of Education/UWL plaque)